What sets us apart?
As the consumer of "forensic services" you do not want to bring in an engineer who "just knows" engineering, and you certainly don't want someone who does not! Yet, this is exactly what you get the majority of the time . . .
- The police officer who has been on the scene of thousands of accidents, and actually witnessed a few in action, but has no understanding of the laws of physics.
- The college engineering professor who knows the laws of physics, yet because of the lack of experience still makes mistakes in forensic investigation and/or advocate forums. Even when his analysis is correct he does not present it well in deposition or court.
- The "experienced" expert found through a referral service who, in reality, is a one man business with limited resources and no specific training.
- A truly experienced expert who may do good work for you and accepts all your cases . . . but charges you for everything he touches. You often receive one or two hour bills for cases with critical flaws, where an initial review might have saved the time and expense.
In 1957, Al von Haenel was one of the first experts in the state of California to apply his mechanical engineering background to the scientific investigation of automobile accidents. Michael von Haenel, the current Chief Technology Officer of von Haenel and Associates, Inc., is a second generation Forensic Engineer who literally grew up in the insurance and litigation industry.
As part of his education, Michael von Haenel studied Ergonomics at Cambridge University in England. When Michael joined the engineering staff of his father's firm in 1976, he was one of the first engineers in the state to apply the science of the interface between a human being and their environment to Forensic Investigation, a discipline which is now known as Human Factors Engineering.
In the late 1980's, Michael left forensic engineering to become a Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney. After leaving the District Attorney's office he then spent the next 3 1/2 years doing civil trial work, principally on seven and eight figure insurance defense cases. Michael returned to forensic engineering in 1993 and opened his own firm in Sacramento, California.
As a professional, you want your experts to be accurate, efficient and most of all ... credible. You want engineering experts who:
- Hold scientific degrees from major universities;
- Have received post-graduate training in forensic investigation from seasoned engineering professionals and special training in how to testify effectively in advocate forums from an experienced trial attorney;
- Have a proven track record of getting the right answer and being able to defend that position; and
- Maintain a reputation for truth and integrity that can never be purchased at any price.
Though the Courts have established their requirements to qualify as an expert, at von Haenel and Associates, Inc. the criteria is much more stringent. For an engineer to be considered for a staff position at von Haenel and Associates, Inc., they must not only have a degree in a scientific discipline from a major university and industry experience, but they must also undergo a strenuous regimen of training, including classroom instruction, research, supervised field instruction and forensic training. Each stage of the engineer's training is carefully scrutinized by experience instructors. Before a staff engineer is allowed to handle a case for one of our clients, they have already proven themselves in rigorous testing at each stage of investigative, analytical and testimonial competence. Our people are not just engineers, they are specially trained and highly qualified Forensic Engineers. At von Haenel and Associates, Inc., we always have been, and shall always remain, dedicated to copious honesty.
Above all else we are committed to providing our clients with the truth about their cases in an accurate, timely and cost effective manner. We provide a superior level of customer service, and will make every effort to assure that your needs are met. Special services available to all of our clients include a Technical Hot Line, initial File Review, a wide range of Educational Programs & Videos, and a specific department dedicated to Client Relations.
Would you like to have a basic understanding of the laws of physics and engineering, as they pertain to your specific cases? At von Haenel and Associates, Inc. we have educational programs designed to help you understand the technical aspects of your case, and to help you develop the skills to apply your new found knowledge in negotiation, deposition and trial.
Could you benefit from a service you can call on to get answers to questions like:
"What is the proper formula for determining speed from a skid mark?"
"What is the appropriate standard for determining a tripping hazard?"
"Are the formulas / equations in this analysis (faxed in) the right ones and are they properly used?"
At von Haenel and Associates, Inc. we maintain a FREE Telephone Hot Line and File Review Service that allows you to discuss your questions with a Fully Trained Forensic Engineer without charge or obligation to assign the case.